In this issue:
1) Social Security to Provide a Free Medical Check-up for SS Members
Email from the Office of Human Resources Services on 11 September 2023
Dear Social Security Members,
We are glad to announce that the Social Security Office will provide a free medical check-up for its members. The Social Security Office, in partnership with Karunvej Hospital, will come to AIT to conduct the medical check-up. This can only be facilitated if we have at least 100 SS members registered for this service.
Details of the medical check-up are attached for your perusal. This is a very good opportunity for AIT employees to have a medical check-up done on-campus without going to the hospital.
If you are interested in availing this free medical check-up, please register using this link. The registration deadline is on 19 September 2023.
Let us all take care of our health because health is wealth. Attached are the lists of medical laboratory tests for your reference.
2) Webinar on Important Aspects of 1st Hearing of the Arbitral Tribunal
Arbitration is one of the important types of dispute resolution in the construction industry because it provides resolution faster than litigation in court. The parties have the benefit of selecting many things, such as the arbitrators, the applicable law, language, seat of arbitration, procedures, etc. Moreover, the arbitral award is not subject to review by the court. It can also be enforced by the courts of other member countries of the New York Convention. However, the court may set aside or refuse enforcement in a limited circumstance.
The first hearing of the Arbitral Tribunal is a very important procedure to create understanding between the parties of the dispute to avoid any circumstances which may cause the arbitral award to be set aside or refused enforcement. The understanding of the parties in the first hearing can also expedite the arbitral process.
For more information and registration please visit:
Date: Wednesday, 20th September 2023
Time: 5:00 pm Bangkok time
3) “The Leverage Model for Sanitation Advocacy” An Exclusive Session with 'Mr. Toilet', Prof. Jack Sim
In the upcoming event at the Asian Institute of Technology, the academic community is set for an enriching session with the globally recognized Prof. Jack Sim, also known as “Mr. Toilet”. Dive deep as he unravels insights on “The Leverage Model for Sanitation Advocacy”. This significant talk, presented by the Global Water & Sanitation Center, will be complemented by a moderated discussion led by Prof. Thammarat Koottatep, Co-Director of GWSC.
Date: 21 September 2023
Venue: Milton Bender Auditorium
Jack Sim, also known by his Chinese names 沈锐华 (simplified) and 沈銳華 (traditional), and pinyin Shěn Ruìhuá, was born in 1957. He is best known for founding the Restroom Association of Singapore, World Toilet Organization, World Toilet Day initiative, and the Bottom of the Pyramid (BoP) Hub. Originally from the construction sector, Jack pivoted towards dedicated social work after achieving financial freedom at 40.
In 2001, his contributions to raising awareness and gathering national expertise earned him the Schwab Foundation’s Social Entrepreneur of the Year award. By 2007, Jack had been recognized as a Fellow of Ashoka: Innovators for the Public. Furthermore, he played an instrumental role in establishing the Sustainable Sanitation Alliance, which includes major stakeholders in the sanitation field.
Time magazine honored Jack Sim as one of the Heroes of the Environment in 2008. In addition to his aforementioned ventures, he initiated the BOP HUB and various social enterprises and startups. Presently, he is working on a 65,000 sq ft World Trade Center for the Poor in Singapore. This ambitious project aims to revolutionize the marketplace for the world’s 4 billion impoverished individuals, with the ultimate goal of eradicating global poverty.
4) Invitation to the AIT Extension's campaign on "Donation for Greener Community"
AIT Extension has organized a CSR campaign on "Donation for Greener Community" during 18 August - 19 September 2023.
This campaign aims to promote sustainability and reduce environmental waste by encouraging AIT Community to donate unused items to needy people.
You can participate in this event by donating your unused items at the following donation points:
- Donation Center, behind the Purchasing Office, Administration Building
- Dormitory P, near the stairway
- ST6, near the notice board
- AIT Cafeteria
5) Invitation to the Knowledge-sharing session on "Construction Management without dispute" on 22 September 2023
AIT Extension in collaboration with the Thailand Arbitration Center (THAC) is organizing a knowledge-sharing session in Thai on "Construction Management without dispute - ก่อสร้างอย่างไรให้ห่างไกลข้อพิพาท" on Friday, 22nd September 2023 from 9:00 - 12:00 hrs.
The session will be conducted in-person at the Creator Space, Entrepreneurship Center.
For registration please visit How to construct away from disputes (thac.or.th)
Thank you very much and looking forward to welcoming you to the session.
6) Doctoral Final Examination
Email from the Registry Unit, Office of Student Affairs on 15 September 2023
Mr. Chalermpol Wangsomcholk (120777), a candidate for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Climate Change and Sustainable Development, Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Change, School of Environment, Resources and Development, will have his final examination on 25 September 2023 (Monday) at 10:30 hrs in Room S101 (SERD Meeting Room). His dissertation title is " The Impact of Warmer Sea Surface Temperatures on Gross Primary Production in the Southeast Asia Region ".
The members of his Program Committee members are as follows:
Prof. Rajendra P. Shrestha (Chairperson)
Dr. Sarawut Ninsawat (Member)
Dr. Ekbordin Winijkul (Member)
All those who are interested in the topic are invited to join.
1) Capacity Development and Training for Cyber Insurance Specialist
This introductory training course is ideal for anyone wishing to gain a uniquely comprehensive understanding and practice of core cybersecurity risk assessment required for cyber insurance formulation, claim management, and broking business. The course assumes no prior technical knowledge and is delivered by our highly experienced cybersecurity consultant and cyber insurance professional.
- Learn core elements of cybersecurity and information technology.
- Aware common components of cybersecurity risks and identify multiple types of risk patterns and cybersecurity threats.
- Understand laws and regulations related to personal data security and protection.
- Develop fundamental understanding of cyber insurance policy coverages and exclusions thru case studies.
For more information and registration please visit https://extension.ait.ac.th/course/capacity-development-and-training-cyber-insurance-specialist
Date: 25 – 28 September 2023
Venue: S31 Sukhumvit Hotel
2) Professional Development Course on “Carbon Markets and Climate Finance”
Climate finance provides the means to the implementation of projects, carbon pricing provides the incentive to mobilize the most “cost-effective” mitigation options. Carbon pricing can be a source of climate finance: with emissions trading through the auctioning of allowances, with carbon tax through tax levied, revenues raised can be used for adaptation and/or mitigation activities.
Date: 2 – 13 October 2023
Venue: AIT Campus
For more information and registration please visit https://extension.ait.ac.th/course/carbon-markets-and-climate-finance
3) Professional development on “Strategic Human Resource Management and Business Leadership”
AIT Extension invites you to join the training on professional development on “Strategic Human Resource Management and Business Leadership”.
This training course is designed to support HR leaders and professionals in their quest for best practices that will be more beneficial to their organization’s human resources and for the achievement of business targets. By providing them with a better understanding of how to be both strategic and human-centered in their HR strategies and initiatives, and giving them opportunities to explore various frameworks, tools, and techniques, they will be able to translate strategic thinking into actionable outcomes that will make all stakeholders happy.
For more information and registration please visit https://extension.ait.ac.th/course/strategic-human-resource-management-and-business-leadership-0
Date: 16 – 20 October 2023
Venue: AIT Conference Center
4) The 3rd International Symposium on Disaster Resilience and Sustainable Development (DRSD 2023)
The 3rd International Symposium on Disaster Resilience and Sustainable Development (DRSD 2023) is a continuation of previous symposia held in 2019 and 2021 and which were heralded as successful events. This year, DRSD 2023 will be a fully in-person event which will include keynote speeches, panel discussions, technical sessions, poster presentations and academic exhibitions.
The Symposium is open for participants from around the world and from various fields, such as researchers, practitioners, social motivators, innovators, IGOs, INGO/NGOs, civil society, early career academics, and students. The International Symposium aims to present a discourse on improving developmental practices to reduce long-term complex risks and promote equitable sustainability. This is reflected in the Symposium's six (6) thematic areas.
We are currently open for abstract submission for oral and poster presentations at the Symposium. Visit this link to submit your abstract: http://www.disaster-sustainability.org/paper-submission/
For more information on the Symposium, thematic areas, registration fees and processes, and submission of abstracts, please visit our website: www.disaster-sustainability.org
- Dr. Pisut Koomsap, Faculty- ISE/SET/ Malaysia/ 18 - 21 September 2023
- Mr. Sanjeev Jayasinghe, Executive Director, OAAA/ Hanoi, Vietnam/ 14 - 18 October 2023
- Mr. Sanjeev Jayasinghe, Executive Director, OAAA/ Dhaka, Bangladesh/ 29 - 31 October 2023
- Mr. Sanjeev Jayasinghe, Executive Director, OAAA/ Malaysia/ 1 - 5 November 2023
- Mr. Sanjeev Jayasinghe, Executive Director, OAAA/ Colombo, Sri Lanka/ 12 - 17 November 2023
- Mr. Sanjeev Jayasinghe, Executive Director, OAAA/ Doha, Qatar/ 26 - 30 November 2023
- Mr. Bayasyalan Sunduijav, RRCAP/ Korea/ 25 August - 22 September 2023
- Mr. Huno Solomon Kofi Mensah, RRCAP/ Philippines/ 6 - 16 September 2023
- Mr. Swun Wunna Htet, GIC/ Vienna, Austria/ 1 - 29 October 2023
- Monira Ahsan, SERD/ Hamburg, Germany/ 20 August - 29 September 2023
- Amanda Keren Townshend, OAAA/ Dhaka, Bangladesh/ 1 - 3 October 2023
- Mr. Syam Sundar Pullagura, SERD/ EGAT, Nakorn Ratchasima, Mae Moh Coal Mine, etc./ 2 - 6 October 2023
- Ms. Jittima Noyneam, SERD/ EGAT, Nakorn Ratchasima, Mae Moh Coal Mine, etc./ 2 - 6 October 2023
- Dr. Jal Govind Singh, Faculty-SERD/ EGAT, Nakorn Ratchasima, Mae Moh Coal Mine, etc./ 2 - 6 October 2023
- Prof. Manukid Parnichkul, Faculty-SET/ Netherlands/ 13 - 22 October 2023
- Dr. Indrajit Pal, Faculty-SERD/ Phang Nga, Thailand/ 18 - 23 October 2023
- Mr. Voravate Chonlasin, Executive Director, AITX/ Nan, Thailand/ 15 - 20 September 2023
- Mr. Furqan Ali Shaikh, AI Center/ Sindh, Pakistan/ 17 - 24 September 2023
1. Structural Engineer, AIT Solutions
2. Knowledge Management Officer, GWSC
3. Recruitment and Marketing Staff, SERD/DDS
4. Laboratory Supervisor, SERD
5. Administrative Officer, OIA